FAQ Frequently asked questions about the social inclusion income REVIS)

How do I apply for the REVIS?

Application forms are available on the https://fns.lu website.

The 'part 1' form contains information on the household and must be signed by each member of the household wishing to be considered a recipient.

The 'part 2' form must be included for each adult wishing to apply for the REVIS.

What are the main conditions for receiving the REVIS?

  • having right of residence, being listed on the main register of the National Registry of Natural Persons (Registre national des personnes physiques - RNPP) and actually residing where the usual place of residence is established
  • being at least 25 years of age
  • having financial resources that do not exceed the thresholds set out by the Law on the REVIS
  • being registered with the National Employment Agency (Agence pour le développement de l'emploi - ADEM) as a job-seeker
  • being prepared to exhaust all as-yet-unexplored avenues in Luxembourg or foreign legislation to improve your situation (checking possible entitlement to unemployment benefits or a pension).


What is meant by the term 'household'?

A household comprises all persons who live in a shared home, who have a shared budget, and who cannot provide material evidence that they reside elsewhere.

Can I receive the REVIS under the age of 25?

Yes, there are exceptions enabling under-25s to receive the REVIS, provided that:

  • they are raising a child for whom they receive family allowances
  • they are pregnant (8 weeks before the estimated due date, proven by a medical certificate)
  • they are of legal age but, due to illness or disability, are unable to earn a living within the limits set out by the Law on the REVIS (subject to a medical report produced by a doctor commissioned by the FNS)
  • they are a carer for a person receiving long-term care insurance

Do I have to register with ADEM if I already work full-time?

People who work full-time are exempt from having to register with ADEM.

Do I have to register with ADEM if I receive a pension?

No. People who receive an old-age or disability pension are exempt from this requirement.

Do I have to register with ADEM if I am 65 years old?

No. Over-65s are exempt from this requirement.

Do I have to register with ADEM if I attend secondary school?

No. Students in secondary education are exempt from this requirement.

My health is fragile and I don't believe I am available to work on the job market. Do I need to provide you with medical records?

No. If medical grounds are cited, the FNS will arrange a medical examination.

Are there special provisions for the self-employed?

Self-employed persons may also apply for the REVIS if their income is below the minimum threshold specified by the Law on the REVIS. They may be exempt from registering with ADEM as a job-seeker for a period of 6 months, which may be extended once, if the professional income they earn is below or equal to the minimum wage for unskilled workers. After this time, they must register with ADEM if their professional income remains below the minimum wage for unskilled workers.

Can I receive the REVIS if I have voluntarily left or decreased my professional activity?

As a general rule, no. However, the FNS may grant waivers for duly documented grounds pertaining to a person's family, professional or health situation and supporting the application for the REVIS.

Can I receive the REVIS if I refuse to work with ADEM or the National Office for Social Inclusion (Office national d'inclusion sociale - ONIS)?

No. A sanction from ADEM or the ONIS means you will not be eligible for the REVIS.

Can I receive the REVIS if I am in prison?

No, except in instances of day release or parole with an electronic tag.

Can I receive the REVIS if I am in higher education?

No. All forms of higher education are excluded under the Law on the REVIS.

Can I travel abroad if I am in receipt of the REVIS?

Yes. However, you must provide the FNS with advance notice of each trip abroad. You must not be away for more than 35 calendar days per calendar year.

What is the difference between the inclusion allowance and the activation allowance?

The inclusion allowance is financial aid for a household. It is calculated based on the members and income within the household.

The activation allowance is intended for persons taking part in an activation measure. It is paid monthly based on the minimum wage for unskilled workers, depending on the hours of employment.

How much is the inclusion allowance?

The inclusion allowance consists of:

  • a base amount per household of EUR 901.94 (salary index 944.43) for household expenses 
  • (this amount increases by EUR 135.33 (salary index 944.43) for a household with one or more children receiving family allowances)
  • a base amount per adult of EUR 901.94 (salary index 944.43)
  • a base amount per child receiving family allowances of EUR 280.03 (salary index 944.43)
  • (this amount increases by EUR 82.73 (salary index 944.43) per child receiving family allowances in a single parent household).

Is the REVIS attachable?

No. However, the Social Welfare Office may request a deduction if it has paid electricity and water bills on behalf of the recipient or advanced a rent payment.

Does the REVIS have to be repaid?

Yes, if the benefit has been received in error, it must be repaid.

Yes, if the recipient's financial situation improves.

To ensure repayment, a mortgage registration deed is drawn up.

How long does it take for the FNS to disclose its decision to grant or reject an application?

Once the application has been completed, the FNS discloses its decision within a maximum of 3 months.

What can I do if I disagree with the decision?

If you disagree, you may lodge an appeal with the Social Security Arbitration Tribunal (Conseil arbitral de la sécurité sociale) within 40 days of the date on which the decision in question was disclosed.

Last update